Saturday, February 18, 2012

When the family dog attacks... My Friday night case was to be a basic obedience/leash training lesson---what I found was a dog who'd just "snapped" and tried to kill his owner. A must-read for all dog owners.

I was on a very disturbing call Friday night...one that no behaviorist ever wants to discover---the family dog "turning" and viciously attacking a family member.   I'd originally been called in to provide leash training and basic obedience to this formerly wonderful family pet. 
Before my arrival for our first session, the dog unexpectedly, and out of nowhere, launched an attack which was brutal and relentless in nature. The attack was focused on the mother (who was home alone with five small children). The dog literally "snapped" and tried very hard to kill the mom. The family is very shaken, Mom is healing; but praise God, is doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances.

The family has agreed to allow me to interview them for an article that I will be publishing soon, highlighting the absolute need for folks to have any dog they bring into the family home, temperament tested and evaluated--and to be sure that where ever they get the dog is a reputable place. These clients learned this lesson the hard way, and are brave and gracious enough to share their difficult story in order to help save someone else.

Please keep this family in your prayers and stay tuned for more of their story... It's one no dog owner (or anyone planning to get a dog), should miss.
 

1 comment:

lee said...

Thanks Kim. Wow this brings to mind, years ago I had 3 dogs and then someone trow another one of your fence, I was a red dobby. We loved dobermans and we took she in. 1 of my dogs had pups and this red dob decided she was their mother. She started acting up. To make a long story short, she broke one of my dogs neck and I was shaking so bad taking her to the vet , I thought she was still alive but she wasn't. I took the red dog to the vet to be put down and she was shaking so bad I could not get her out of the car. He had to come to the car to give her the shot and then hall her out. I was so luck she never went for me. sorry I just had to get this out. Please take care Kim and God Bless you.